Monday, January 30, 2012

Tempting Bread Pudding...without using alcohol

Most of the recipes that I found for bread pudding called for brandy, rum, or bourbon. Since I don't keep alcohol on hand, I decided to try bread pudding and omitting the alcohol. It turned out wonderful. Here is my revised recipe.


This recipe yields 4-6 servings.






Ingredients:


1/2 loaf of French bread, cut into cubes
2 cups whole milk
1 large egg
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tbsp butter, melted

Pour milk into medium bowl. Add bread cubes. Press down to allow bread to absorb milk. In separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Pour egg mixture over bread and gently incorporate. Add raisins.

In 9x12 baking dish, add melted butter. Coat bottom and sides of dish to prevent bread from sticking. Add bread mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Bread will start to pull away from sides when done.

Drizzle with sauce.


Sauce for Bread Pudding


1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream

Bring all ingredients (except vanilla) to a boil in small sauce pan. When mixture boils, remove from heat and add vanilla. Drizzle over bread pudding when sauce thickens.



1 comment:

  1. I know it's five years later, but I wanted to let you know that I made this for a history class for middle-school kids. I needed a recipe without alcohol, and this was perfect! Really, really good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete